Ready to roll up your sleeves at Textile Arts Center? We are in need of two youth interns to start ASAP this fall! Interviews will begin November 6.
Please read the description carefully below to see if you would be a good fit.
Youth Education Internship- Education interns are responsible for aiding the Youth Programs director and Instructors during class time. Interns are encouraged to take on the responsibility of teaching single classes their own. Responsibilities include: helping with class prep + breakdown, working on program development and curriculum writing.
Supervisor: Director, Education Managers
Schedule Commitment: 20 hours per week; as coordinated with intern supervisor, Mon-Thurs, largely based between 12 and 8pm.
Throughout the year, Textile Arts Center accepts motivated students, artists and hobbyists to its Internship Program. TAC seeks individuals who are eager to learn more about how it works as an organization, as well those who want to share their skill set with TAC while learning on the job.
As part of Textile Arts Center’s mission to act as a resource facility for the textile community, the program allows for a mutually beneficial relationship, and a comprehensive way to engage with the community at large. Through specific responsibilities, as well as individual projects suited to the intern, we seek to give our interns experience to enhance their knowledge of working in a small arts organization. In addition, TAC compensates interns through access to classes and equipment in exchange for their work contributions that allow TAC to provide all it does for the community.
THE BASICS + BENEFITS OF INTERNING
Fall and Spring Internships are a 4.5 month commitment, unless otherwise discussed. This youth internship would go from November 13-April 1. Textile Arts Center is closed from November 21 - 26 and December 22 - January 5
Preference is given to those who are receiving school credit, but class credits are provided for all accepted interns.
• Association with a small but growing arts organization focused on the textile and fiber community that holds classes, workshops, exhibitions, guest lectures, screenings while working with esteemed teachers, artists and designers from the textile industry and art world.
• Access to our open studio facilities, equipment, and $1000 of class credit!
• Collaborative + communicative environment – new ideas are always welcome! Interns are an integral part of the TAC team
• Hands-on opportunity to learn about a small arts organization, as well as specific techniques and skills
ELIGIBILITY + SELECTION PROCESS
Generally, preference is given to students who are able to receive credit for their internship, but we accept applications from anyone with a strong passion for the textile arts and a desire to work with an organization with a model such as TAC’s. Applicants must be 18 years of age.
After reviewing applications, we will contact all those who seem like a good fit for specific internships, and we will conduct an interview. If you are unable to make the interview in person, we will schedule a Skype conversation. Interviews will be conducted by specific supervisors. After interviews are complete for those contacted, we will be in touch by via email to let you know about your internship status.
As we base our interview selections on your answers in this application, please be thorough and honest in your answers!
Please email email@example.com with the subject line [FULL NAME] Youth Education Internship. Please include your resume and cover letter with the following information:
1. Are you currently a student? If yes, can you receive credit for school?
2. Please provide a brief description of your experience with textiles and fibers.
3. Why do you want to participate in the Textile Arts Center’s internship program?
4. Why do you think you’d be the perfect candidate for Youth Education?
5. Please tell us what draws you to working with kids.
6. Please tell us what is your prior experience working with kids?
7. What is your current occupation?
8. What is your current schedule like? Do you have availiability that is compatible with a 20 hours per week commitment; as coordinated with intern supervisor, Mon-Thurs, largely based between 12 and 8pm?